Index - FAQ - Rechercher - Membres - Groupes - S’enregistrer - Messages Privés - Connexion
Dipping my toe into the Lenco Water...

Poster un nouveau sujet   Répondre au sujet    Lenco Référence Index du Forum -> LENCO -> Travaux en cours...
Sujet précédent :: Sujet suivant  
Auteur Message
ACHiPo
-Membre-
-Membre-

Prénom: Evan
Langue 1: en

MessagePosté le: Jeu 16 Juin - 14:04 (2016)    Sujet du message: Dipping my toe into the Lenco Water... Répondre en citant

Yep, I'm definitely off the deep end (or ever deeper into the rabbit hole), as I have a new project--building a turntable.  Actually, I'm going follow lots of others that reuse key parts of a Lenco idler-drive turntable to take them to a new level of performance by replacing the sprung plinth with a massive hunk of something to damp vibrations while rigidly coupling the spindle to the tonearm.

My adventure started when I stumbled across this article by Arthur Salvatore.  While I'd heard about (and lusted after) the Forsell and other decks he referenced, I'd never heard of a Lenco.  To see his claims that a turntable that could be purchased for a few hundred bucks (less in Europe) could best statement turntables captured my imagination.  
http://www.high-endaudio.com/RC-Lenco.html

Over the next few months I continued to research what I could about idler drives--something that was old and rumbly when I got into hi-fi in the 70s as everyone was into belt drive and direct drive.  I discovered the Thorens 124, and Garrard 301 and 401, all of which were much more expensive with rarer replacement parts.

I finally succumbed to Lenco fever a few weeks ago after finding a 60 Hz L75 with a broken tonearm for a good price on ebay.  The tonearm was trashed, but I didn't care since I'd be adding my own (maybe 2!).  I took a gamble and hit "buy it now".  The seller warned me that the packing was in rough shape, but that it would arrive safely, and he was correct on both counts.  Okay

I plugged it in and it spun.  There was a bit of noise, but I expected that since it was an old idler drive--it likely needed a full rebuild.  I moved my second arm on its pod over to the Lenco and aligned it with the Feickert protractor, using Adjust+ to dial in azimuth and VTA.  There was no mat, but I wanted to see how it sounded, so I put on a record.  Tada, music.  Yes there was a bit of rumble, but it sounded pretty darned good.  Sitting there listening to music coming out, I remembered that I forgot to LOOSEN the transport screws!  Removing the platter, I loosen the 3 red screws, replace the platter and put on a record again.  Dead quiet!  Magic!  I now know what all the shoutin' is about--this thing as-is compares quite favorably to my WTT Reference turntable.  Now I'm excited!

I considered a PTP, as well as Corian.  For this build I'm going to use as shaved top-plate "frying pan", although mine will be more like an "amoeba" since I plan to leave the on/off switch in place as well as the speed control selector.

I've already ordered and received one of Norbert's idler wheels, 
http://www.lencoheaven.net/forum/index.php?topic=11628.210

as well as after-market PTFE bushings and a brass clamp to replace the circlip on the idler shaft.
http://www.lencoheaven.net/forum/index.php?topic=21002.0

I've ordered a spindle bearing cap to replace the plastic one, and allows the spindle bearing to be bolted to the plinth.
http://www.lencoheaven.net/forum/index.php?topic=9739.150

I also have a pair of VibroStop Platter Mats stacked on the Lenco (I'm really liking them so far, at least as compared to no platter mat):
http://www.hologramacoustics.com/product/vibro-stop-platter-mat/

The rest of the mechanicals will just be taken apart and cleaned/lubed.  My hope here is to not screw something up, as the current performance is pretty darned good as-is.

Here is the concept for my turntable:

MessagePosté le: Jeu 16 Juin - 14:04 (2016)    Sujet du message: Publicité

PublicitéSupprimer les publicités ?
MAZZONI
*Membre *
*Membre *

Prénom: Hervé
Langue 1: fr
Langue 2: en
Langue 3: es

MessagePosté le: Jeu 16 Juin - 19:59 (2016)    Sujet du message: Dipping my toe into the Lenco Water... Répondre en citant

Exciting program !
We clearly see you are far from a beginner.
No doubt you will make it sound great  Wink .
What kind of cartrige do you plan to fit on your 3-star tonearm ?
ACHiPo
-Membre-
-Membre-

MessagePosté le: Jeu 16 Juin - 21:01 (2016)    Sujet du message: Dipping my toe into the Lenco Water... Répondre en citant

MAZZONI a écrit:
Exciting program !
We clearly see you are far from a beginner.
No doubt you will make it sound great  Wink .
What kind of cartrige do you plan to fit on your 3-star tonearm ?

I have two Lyras, a Delos and a Kleos. I just picked up an AT150mxl with a cheap replacement stylus primarily to set up the Terminator tonearm, but thought it might be fun to have an MM for rock records. I have a Miyajima Zero mono cartridge that will go on my Pioneer arm.
*Membre *
*Membre *

MessagePosté le: Jeu 16 Juin - 22:09 (2016)    Sujet du message: Dipping my toe into the Lenco Water... Répondre en citant

Hum ... Massive destruction arms  Wink
ACHiPo
-Membre-
-Membre-

MessagePosté le: Jeu 16 Juin - 22:42 (2016)    Sujet du message: Dipping my toe into the Lenco Water... Répondre en citant

MAZZONI a écrit:
Hum ... Massive destruction arms  Wink

The Lenco will be rotated 90º counter clockwise. The TransFi Terminator tonearm will be mounted at 12:00, the on/off switch will be at ~1:00, and the Pioneer PA-70 tonearm will be mounted ~2:00. Both mounting points should be well clear of the motor, so I shouldn't have any hum issues. And both tonearms have interchangeable heads so it will be relatively easy to switch between my various cartridges.

Prénom: Mario
Langue 3: de
Langue 4: it

MessagePosté le: Mar 21 Juin - 15:46 (2016)    Sujet du message: Dipping my toe into the Lenco Water... Répondre en citant

Hi Evan Smile ,

Thanks for sharing your new project with this Lenco. Yes you can reach unsuspected levels with a complete rebuild. The options you mentioned with the PTP plate make sense and will constitute a solid start. You can use the Corian as base, like Peter's commercial offering, of course the usual birchply. However best results here were achieved using multilayered 40mm bamboo ply (from www.moso.com). Or alternate layered birchply and MDF with decoupling lead layer in between. Slate is also a good option, but harder to work with and maybe a tad too bright sounding (IMHO).

I also remember that tests have shown that a composite mixture with resin and cat's layer (bentonite) has been used by notable members here with exceptional results I guess. Please find the posts from members 'Rap' and 'François' our former admin here at Lenco Référence.

Other options to the PTP chassis are cutting the metal plate yourself so that you can fix it firmly onto a base. Main problems arise while fixing the levers for change speed and on/off operation. Finding a good solution is not so trivial ... whew

Hope to read more on your project as it goes on ! Also check in at Lenco Heaven which hosts good info from the more english-speaking dudes Wink

Cheers,
Mario
-Membre-
-Membre-

MessagePosté le: Dim 26 Juin - 22:12 (2016)    Sujet du message: Progress (if slow) Répondre en citant

Received a new bit in the post Friday--a speed selector switch knob:

I've pretty much decided to go the bentonite/resin approach, but still need to work out the mold and design.  I have one more bit to receive (bearing parts from Jolly) and I'll have no more excuses for not starting Wink
*Membre *
*Membre *

MessagePosté le: Lun 27 Juin - 07:26 (2016)    Sujet du message: Dipping my toe into the Lenco Water... Répondre en citant

Good luck ! We will be watching the progress with the utmost interest  Wink
ACHiPo
-Membre-
-Membre-

MessagePosté le: Dim 25 Sep - 19:09 (2016)    Sujet du message: A Quick Update Répondre en citant

The plinth construction is done and I'm well into finishing the platter and plinth.

*Membre *
*Membre *

MessagePosté le: Dim 25 Sep - 20:31 (2016)    Sujet du message: Dipping my toe into the Lenco Water... Répondre en citant

It looks great !How did you manage to stick the wooden cladding (not sure of the term ...) on the plinth ? This is usually considered as a tricky job !
Impatient for further progress  bravo  !
Good Luce !
ACHiPo
-Membre-
-Membre-

MessagePosté le: Dim 25 Sep - 23:59 (2016)    Sujet du message: Dipping my toe into the Lenco Water... Répondre en citant

MAZZONI a écrit:
It looks great !How did you manage to stick the wooden cladding (not sure of the term ...) on the plinth ? This is usually considered as a tricky job !
Impatient for further progress  bravo  !
Good Luce !

Herve',
I used raw veneer from this shop:
http://www.veneersupplies.com/categories/Veneering__Supplies/Tools__%26__Supplies/

They have all the supplies necessary, as well as very helpful tutorials on the process.  I used a "hot glue" method where the glue was applied to the back of the veneer and the plinth with a glue roller.  After it dried for about 20 minutes, the veneer is placed onto the plinth and a clothes iron on "cotton" setting is used to activate the glue.  I then used a laminate trimming router bit to trim the edges.

Trust me, you are not as impatient as I am!

Thanks!
Evan
-Membre-
-Membre-

MessagePosté le: Lun 3 Oct - 14:36 (2016)    Sujet du message: Dipping my toe into the Lenco Water... Répondre en citant

Progress continues.  In the home stretch now.  The mechanical bits are all polished, lubricated, and reassembled.  Just need to rub out the shellac finish at this point.

Unfortunately the site doesn't seem to want me to post pictures, as it's telling me they are too big even when resized to thumbnail size. Crying or Very sad
*Membre *
*Membre *

MessagePosté le: Lun 3 Oct - 15:06 (2016)    Sujet du message: Dipping my toe into the Lenco Water... Répondre en citant

Are you connected with an Apple device ? Since the last iOS update, I can't upload pictures anymore.
Contenu Sponsorisé

MessagePosté le: Aujourd’hui à 23:21 (2016)    Sujet du message: Dipping my toe into the Lenco Water...

Poster un nouveau sujet   Répondre au sujet    Lenco Référence Index du Forum -> LENCO -> Travaux en cours... Toutes les heures sont au format GMT + 1 Heure
Page 1 sur 1

Sauter vers:  

Index | Creer un forum | Forum gratuit d’entraide | Annuaire des forums gratuits | Signaler une violation | Conditions générales d'utilisation