Index - FAQ - Rechercher - Membres - Groupes - S’enregistrer - Messages Privés - Connexion
Query about Zafira: a French stylus manufacturer

Poster un nouveau sujet   Répondre au sujet    Lenco Référence Index du Forum -> Vynile -> Les cellules.
Sujet précédent :: Sujet suivant  
Auteur Message
Richard
*Membre *
*Membre *

Prénom: Richard
Langue 1: en

MessagePosté le: Jeu 2 Juil - 00:28 (2009)    Sujet du message: Query about Zafira: a French stylus manufacturer Répondre en citant

Does anyone know about an aftermarket French stylus company named "Zafira?"

There were a number of "aftermarket" stylus manufacturers in the world. I know of one in France, one or two in The UK, one in Holland, one in Switzerland, at least one each in Japan, China, and Korea, and at least twelve in the United States, one of which had a Canadian subsidiary.

These companies made imitations of original styli. Sometimes, they actually supplied styli to cartridge manufacturers, many of which didn't make their own needles. After the original companies went out-of-business or stopped supporting some of their own products, these aftermarket companies became the only sources of replacement styli.

Zafira made a late entry into the USA; I believe that they bought an American stylus maker, Fidelitone, in Florida, during the mid 1980s. I have a set of Zafira American dealer literature. I found their catalog very confusing. I purchased one inexpensive Zafira stylus for a customer; it was inferior. Perhaps it was a mistake.

I'm wondering if any of you can provide some information about this company.
Thank you.

Richard
Publicité

MessagePosté le: Jeu 2 Juil - 00:28 (2009)    Sujet du message: Publicité

PublicitéSupprimer les publicités ?
olivier
*Membre *
*Membre *

Prénom: Olivier
Langue 1: fr
Langue 2: en

MessagePosté le: Jeu 2 Juil - 18:08 (2009)    Sujet du message: Query about Zafira: a French stylus manufacturer Répondre en citant

Hi Richard,

Zafira was very popular in the 70-80s in France. Almost all the shops that were selling LPs at that time used to have a wooden rack with all kind of styli for cheap players as well as for HIFI equipment.
At that time I was not involved in HIFI that much so I cannot tell you about the manufacturing quality.
If you are looking for a particular item, I can seek it for you, there are still lots of old inventories here and there.

Have a nice day

Olivier

PS : I plan to come to San Francisco next January for an exhibition, do you think we could meet and have a drink together ?
*Membre *
*Membre *

MessagePosté le: Jeu 2 Juil - 20:23 (2009)    Sujet du message: Query about Zafira: a French stylus manufacturer Répondre en citant

I'm replying by PM, Olivier.
Richard
*Membre *
*Membre *

MessagePosté le: Jeu 2 Juil - 20:35 (2009)    Sujet du message: Query about Zafira: a French stylus manufacturer Répondre en citant

Thank you, Olivier.

I have one serious problem with Zafira: their product designation system conceals much about their products. So, it's impossible to ascertain what their products actually are, who made them, or anything about quality, accurate tracking force specifications; even the types and sizes of the tips aren't stated.

Zafira was not the only aftermarket stylus company that didn't bother to provide adequate information about their products. A few did, and they tended to be more trustworthy, in my experience.

A given stylus may be a good replacement or not. But we can't tell in advance without actually examining the needle. So, based upon the one stylus that I bought, I would not be inclined to buy another from this company unless I actually had it in my hand and had even looked at it under my microscope.

Of course, what I have written above is only based upon their American catalog and one needle.

Richard
monoman
-Membre-
-Membre-

MessagePosté le: Ven 3 Juil - 10:59 (2009)    Sujet du message: Query about Zafira: a French stylus manufacturer Répondre en citant

My one experience with a Zafira stylus was not good - Assemblée sans intelligence  NO!
Invité

MessagePosté le: Ven 3 Juil - 11:12 (2009)    Sujet du message: Query about Zafira: a French stylus manufacturer Répondre en citant

Richard & al

A few (very little) info I have gathered on the net:

Entreprise
DénominationZAFIRA FRANCE
Adresse du siège Chemin Sous la Grace
01800 PEROUGES

Direction / Contrôle
GerantMarie-Thérèse GOUTENOIRE

Identité / Activité
Forme juridique SARL
Capital8 000 Euros
Immatriculation00/0000
Activité (APE) 4643Z - Commerce de gros (interentreprises) d'appareils électroménagers
Effectif 20 a 49 salaries
Etablissements1
Procédure collective récentenon

éléments financiers
Exercices clos le 31/12/200731/12/200631/12/2005
Chiffre d'affaires 2 439 000 €2 686 758 €3 309 600 €
E.B.E.7.41 %-2.42 %-0.58 %
Résultat net -8 797 207 €-202 701 €-175 001 €

• Tél. +33 (0)474611088
• Fax. +33 (0)474612291

hats off
monoman
-Membre-
-Membre-

MessagePosté le: Ven 3 Juil - 15:22 (2009)    Sujet du message: Query about Zafira: a French stylus manufacturer Répondre en citant

Bottom line says it all.
Invité

MessagePosté le: Ven 3 Juil - 15:42 (2009)    Sujet du message: Query about Zafira: a French stylus manufacturer Répondre en citant

monoman a écrit:
Bottom line says it all.

Well, if you or Richard wants to fax them a specific question, feel free to post here your text in English.
No doubt someone will help you with a translation.

hats off
olivier
*Membre *
*Membre *

Prénom: Olivier
Langue 1: fr
Langue 2: en

MessagePosté le: Sam 4 Juil - 07:19 (2009)    Sujet du message: Query about Zafira: a French stylus manufacturer Répondre en citant

François, tu es sûr de tes chiffres pour Zafira.
CA 2007 2,4M€ et résultat -8,8M€ ????????
Je ne suis pas persuadé qu'il s'agisse réellement de l'entreprise dont on parle ici. Je pensais que Zafira était suisse d'ailleurs. Il y avait en tous cas dans les années 80 deux sociétés Zafira SA et Zafira Centrale SA à Fribourg à qui Philips avait intenté un procès en contrefaçon pour une pointe de lecture dont j'ai oublié le nom (ça doit pouvoir se retrouver sur le net).
Maintenant c'était peut être des filiales de Zafira France, je ne sais pas.
Invité

MessagePosté le: Sam 4 Juil - 07:56 (2009)    Sujet du message: Query about Zafira: a French stylus manufacturer Répondre en citant

Olivier,

Les chiffres, bien sûr que je ne suis pas sûr, mais comme tu sais, c'est sur le net donc c'est vrai Rolling Eyes Laughing

Pour Zafira Centrale, j'ai trouvé quelque chose:
http://vlex.ch/vid/40896878

hats off
Richard
*Membre *
*Membre *

MessagePosté le: Dim 5 Juil - 23:59 (2009)    Sujet du message: Query about Zafira: a French stylus manufacturer Répondre en citant

I think that The Roast Beef is telling us that we cannot trust Zafira because they are losing money. Who am I to argue with him?

He also said,
Code:
My one experience with a Zafira stylus was not good - Assemblée sans intelligence  NO!

This is interesting, because this was exactly my experince, too (was he quoting me?). It was assembled so badly that I had to rebuild it using parts from the worn-out stylus that I was replacing!

Of course, after that, I would never buy another one. In fact, I asked the owner of the electronics shop where I bought it to please return to a trustworthy American aftermarket supplier, but she refused.

I know that there was a Swiss stylus manufacturer, too. They were a supplier to aftermarket stylus companies. What I'd heard was that their quality was good but not exceptional. The American Walco company, in their late years, bought complete styli from three sources: England, Switzerland, and Japan. They used Japanese sub-assemblies for their magnetic styli.

Earlier, and under different ownership, Walco had been a true stylus manufacturer. In fact, they supplied original styli to General Electric.

I wonder who the Swiss manufacturer was, and if they still exist.
Contenu Sponsorisé

MessagePosté le: Aujourd’hui à 13:48 (2017)    Sujet du message: Query about Zafira: a French stylus manufacturer

Poster un nouveau sujet   Répondre au sujet    Lenco Référence Index du Forum -> Vynile -> Les cellules. Toutes les heures sont au format GMT + 1 Heure
Page 1 sur 1

Sauter vers:  

Index | Creer un forum | Forum gratuit d’entraide | Annuaire des forums gratuits | Signaler une violation | Conditions générales d'utilisation