Index - FAQ - Rechercher - Membres - Groupes - S’enregistrer - Messages Privés - Connexion
Démagnétiser : est-ce nécessaire ?

Poster un nouveau sujet   Répondre au sujet    Lenco Référence Index du Forum -> Vynile -> Les cellules.
Sujet précédent :: Sujet suivant  
Auteur Message
MAZZONI
*Membre *
*Membre *

Prénom: Hervé
Langue 1: fr
Langue 2: en
Langue 3: es

MessagePosté le: Mar 13 Mar - 22:04 (2012)    Sujet du message: Démagnétiser : est-ce nécessaire ? Répondre en citant

Démagnétiser une cellule : est-ce nécessaire et comment le faire ?

J'ai également récupéré lors de l'achat d'un lot de matériel un "bidule" qui ressemble à un allume-gaz (une poignée que l'on presse et qui tire des étincelles d'une pointe isolée) ; le mot "stat" étant écrit dessus, j'en déduis que cela a à faire avec de l'électricité statique ; à quoi cela sert-il ?
Publicité

MessagePosté le: Mar 13 Mar - 22:04 (2012)    Sujet du message: Publicité

PublicitéSupprimer les publicités ?
Richard
*Membre *
*Membre *

Prénom: Richard
Langue 1: en

MessagePosté le: Mer 14 Mar - 07:07 (2012)    Sujet du message: Démagnétiser : est-ce nécessaire ? Répondre en citant

I think that you are referring to an English product named "Zerostat."
This is not used to demagnetize a cartridge.

Its purpose is to eliminate the static charge on a record so that the dust can be removed. No matter how faithfully I have followed the directions, it has not been useful for me. As you probably know, some records, especially from Europe during the 70s and 80s, have been "dust magnets." My Zerostat has simply not been able to eliminate the static charge.

Some general instructions:
- Use the device at a distance of about 12 inches from the record (sorry: my metric ruler is in another room).
- Pull and release the trigger very slowly. If the device clicks, you are pulling too fast.
- The final motion should be a slow release.
- To test the Zerostat, insert the leads of an ordinary neon bulb into the opening and pull or release the trigger.

But, as I said, I have never been able to get mine to do anything useful.

Please understand that I am not prejudiced against Europe. In fact, in general, your records have been made better than those here in the USA.

Regarding the need to demagnetize a cartridge (or a stylus!), I don't know what to say except to be very, very careful that you understand how your cartridge really works before you consider trying to do it. For a moving magnet cartridge, if you demagnetize the stylus, you will ruin it. You can probably demagnetize a moving magnet cartridge body without harm.

For an induced magnet cartridge (the type that audiophiles are wrong about when they call it an "MM"), you can demagnetize the stylus, but will ruin the cartridge body if you attempt to demagnetize it because the body contains a powerful permanent magnet. And in some induced magnet designs, the magnet is actually mounted on the stylus assembly. This is how ADC made their most popular models.

I think that in many cases, demagnetizing the cartridge or stylus won't produce any, or much, benefit.
MAZZONI
*Membre *
*Membre *

Prénom: Hervé
Langue 3: es

MessagePosté le: Mer 14 Mar - 21:18 (2012)    Sujet du message: Démagnétiser : est-ce nécessaire ? Répondre en citant

Richard,

Thank you for this detailed report on both demagnetization and static fighting.

I read discussions on supposedly audiophile forums where they were mentioning demagnetization as a mandatory regular maintenance routine.
As far as I caught what you said, these guys were probably paid by cartridge sellers ;-))

About static fighting, I am reasonably suffering from that ; I mean that some LP's attract dust much more than others ; this can be noticed because you cannot play one side at once without an interruption for dedusting the stylus. Other LP's are generating typical static like crack noises ; a regular use of a carbon brush helps in maintaining the phenomenon at an acceptable level.
I will manage to use the Stat tool as you explained it.
12 inches = 30 cm, that is to say the approx diameter of an LP ...
nimbus

Prénom: Bruno

MessagePosté le: Jeu 15 Mar - 17:27 (2012)    Sujet du message: Démagnétiser : est-ce nécessaire ? Répondre en citant

Richard a écrit:
 In fact, in general, your records have been made better than those here in the USA.

It's fun!
Many audiophiles on this side of the Atlantic are often praised discs made ​​in United States they consider better.
Legend of french audiophile...
Hi
Bruno.
*Membre *
*Membre *

Prénom: Richard
Langue 1: en

MessagePosté le: Dim 25 Mar - 21:27 (2012)    Sujet du message: Démagnétiser : est-ce nécessaire ? Répondre en citant

I don't know what to say except that the only rule is that there are no rules. I think that this is a sort-of "French outlook," and a good one, in that in my mind, the French people are able to live with paradoxes that drive other people crazy. I see this as a good thing.

But let's be serious about one thing:
Dust is the enemy of both vinyl records and our styli. I encourage the use of dust covers, even though many audiophiles think that they degrade the sound. If you think that your dust cover is degrading the sound, I suggest that you add mass to it to reduce any resonance that you may be hearing.

I like to use needles that have integral dust brushes. This means Stanton and Pickering because their dust brush is the best design for attracting and holding dust. There are two problems here:
- Many of Stanton's needles never had these brushes because they were used in professional environments where they interfered with the operator's view of the needle. But most Pickering needles had them.
- In recent years, the company eliminated all of their highest-performing cartridges and styli, and almost all of their home-use styli. A few of the disco needles are actually very fine needles for use in Lenco's original arms, producing excellent sound. But none of them have brushes.
- During the last few years, the company only sold one needle with a brush, and this one was recently discontinued.

Stanton has been purchased by Gibson (the electric guitar-based musical instrument congolomerate.) I don't know what the future will bring. What I would like to see is the return of a number of Stanton's better models, but only if the original quality is re-introduced. This would be difficult economically and practically. A Stanton engineer once said to me, "Hiring someone to assemble our phonograph needles is like selecting an astronaut."

Shure's brushes are not as effective with dust as Stanton/Pickering's. But the do work and are better than nothing.
Contenu Sponsorisé

MessagePosté le: Aujourd’hui à 03:25 (2016)    Sujet du message: Démagnétiser : est-ce nécessaire ?

Poster un nouveau sujet   Répondre au sujet    Lenco Référence Index du Forum -> Vynile -> Les cellules. Toutes les heures sont au format GMT + 1 Heure
Page 1 sur 1

Sauter vers:  

Index | Creer un forum | Forum gratuit d’entraide | Annuaire des forums gratuits | Signaler une violation | Conditions générales d'utilisation