Index - FAQ - Rechercher - Membres - Groupes - S’enregistrer - Messages Privés - Connexion
Stanton 881

Poster un nouveau sujet   Répondre au sujet    Lenco Référence Index du Forum -> Vynile -> Les cellules.
Sujet précédent :: Sujet suivant  
Auteur Message
François
Invité

MessagePosté le: Mer 6 Mai - 09:35 (2009)    Sujet du message: Stanton 881 Répondre en citant

Messieurs,

Une question légèrement hors-sujet mais pas trop: quelqu'un connait-il la différence entre la 681 et la 881 Question

Now, a slightly off topic (but not that much) question: what is the difference between the 681 and the 881 Question

hats off
Publicité

MessagePosté le: Mer 6 Mai - 09:35 (2009)    Sujet du message: Publicité

PublicitéSupprimer les publicités ?
Richard
*Membre *
*Membre *

Prénom: Richard
Langue 1: en

MessagePosté le: Jeu 7 Mai - 22:02 (2009)    Sujet du message: Stanton 881 Répondre en citant

François a écrit:
Messieurs,

Une question légèrement hors-sujet mais pas trop: quelqu'un connait-il la différence entre la 681 et la 881 Question

Now, a slightly off topic (but not that much) question: what is the difference between the 681 and the 881 Question
hats off

It's a big difference!
Models 680, 681, and Pickering XV15 are the same. These are induced magnet technology (also called moving iron and Stanton's trade name, Fluxvalve.

Models 881, 981 (and derivative numbers) and Pickering 3000,4000, 5000, and low-impedance cartridges in both brands, are moving magnet technology.

Never put the stylus of one technology into the body of the other.

Unlike the earlier 500 and V15 models, the later moving magnet products use powerful lightweight "rare-earth" magnets inside the cantilevers. This, in turn, allows the cantilevers to be more delicate and lighter, so they are not as strong as the cantilevers of the company's earlier cartridges.
François
Invité

MessagePosté le: Ven 8 Mai - 05:25 (2009)    Sujet du message: Stanton 881 Répondre en citant

Hi Richard,

Thanks for the info.

From what I have been able to read around, it seems that the 881 was/is an outstanding cartridge, likely to outperform the Shure V15-IV. Do you have any opinion?

hats off
Richard
*Membre *
*Membre *

MessagePosté le: Ven 8 Mai - 10:17 (2009)    Sujet du message: Stanton 881 Répondre en citant

It's hard for me to state a preference between these two cartridges because I have never installed my own V15-IV. It's one of a number of cartridge/needle/arm things that I have never had the presence of mind to do (yet!). All the parts are in a cabinet. They are both very fine cartridges.

I regard the Stanton 881S as a good "musician's cartridge." Very true, very clean. I have a collection of reviews of the 881S, translated into English. They are impressive.

The brushes of these two cartridges work the opposite of each other. The Stanton brush provides slight stabilization. The Shure's brush is more of a stabilizer. Stanton's brush is un-grounded. It generates a static charge which attracts and holds dust from the record. The grounded cantilever drains static from the record.

Shure's brush is grounded, so it doesn't do as good a job of cleaning the record. I don't remember whether Shure's cantilever is grounded or not.

In general, the Shure would be capable of tracking more severe passages than the Stanton, for the damped brush allows the cantilever to have greater compliance. Therefore, the Shure would be superior with very difficult records in an un-damped arm. But in a lightly-damped arm, the Stanton would be really excellent, too, probably similar to the Shure. The Stanton's original needles are a bit superior because their tip mass is less than Shure's: cleaner reproduction of difficult high frequencies. Now, I'm thinking of loud chorus + orchestra movements of Bach cantatas.

Since many of us don't have a need to enjoy the Telarc 1812 Overture record, I don't regard extreme tracking as a worthwhile criterion. So, the decision comes down to which you prefer. Each is good in its own way, but I believe that I'd prefer the Stanton. Unfortunately, Stanton's own Stereohedron needles are history now.

There are minute differences in tracking between Stanton's products in that range. Relative to the 881, the 981 and the Pickering 5000 are a little more compliant, as are the best low-impedance cartridges in both brands. I am leaning toward light damping for these in my own arms.

As you can tell, these answers aren't simple.
François
Invité

MessagePosté le: Ven 8 Mai - 10:30 (2009)    Sujet du message: Stanton 881 Répondre en citant

Richard a écrit:

As you can tell, these answers aren't simple.

Do not worry Wink I was not expecting any simple answer but rather some description of the character of each cartridge, a task you have accomplished in an excellent manner Okay

I think I start chasing a 881 Rolling Eyes
François
Invité

MessagePosté le: Ven 8 Mai - 16:44 (2009)    Sujet du message: Stanton 881 Répondre en citant

François a écrit:
I think I start chasing a 881 Rolling Eyes

Richard,

I saw Arrow this Stanton 881mkIIs at what seems to be an excellent price.
Unfortunately, after an inquiry email, it turned out that they do not ship to France Evil or Very Mad Confused
Can I ask you some help on this Question Rolling Eyes

bow

hats off
Richard
*Membre *
*Membre *

MessagePosté le: Ven 8 Mai - 19:48 (2009)    Sujet du message: Stanton 881 Répondre en citant

Sure.

Option #2 is to purchase a used body and a new stylus.
Smile
François
Invité

MessagePosté le: Sam 9 Mai - 05:44 (2009)    Sujet du message: Stanton 881 Répondre en citant

Richard a écrit:
Sure.

You probably mean Stanton Exclamation

Citation:
Option #2 is to purchase a used body and a new stylus.
Smile
If one can find an used body.......

Let's continue via email or PM Question

bow

hats off
Contenu Sponsorisé

MessagePosté le: Aujourd’hui à 10:40 (2017)    Sujet du message: Stanton 881

Poster un nouveau sujet   Répondre au sujet    Lenco Référence Index du Forum -> Vynile -> Les cellules. Toutes les heures sont au format GMT + 1 Heure
Page 1 sur 1

Sauter vers:  

Index | Creer un forum | Forum gratuit d’entraide | Annuaire des forums gratuits | Signaler une violation | Conditions générales d'utilisation